How to Clean and Maintain (HDPE) Solid Plastic Toilet Partitions
The following is a guide on how to care for and clean Solid Plastic (HDPE) Toilet Partitions:
Solid plastic toilet partitions resist dirty fingerprints, grease, grime, and scuffs. However, solid plastic toilet partitions should regularly be cleaned by maintenance staff to maintain a new appearance and a sanitary environment.
- Removing Dirt & Grime: All surfaces should be washed with a mild dish-washing liquid soap or powdered detergent and warm water. Use a soft cloth. The finish should then be wiped with a damp sponge and dried.
- Removing Stains: For very stubborn stains, make a paste with baking soda and water. The paste will be slightly abrasive, so work carefully to keep from damaging the surface. Dip a soft bristle brush into the paste and gently rub the spot pressing very lightly in a circular motion. Rinse the surface with warm water and dry with a soft cloth. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 as necessary if the spot seems to be going away.
- Removing Scratches: The appearance of scratches may be minimized in either of the following three ways:
- Small scratches can be burnished and smoothed out by pushing the raised material down with the back of a spoon or a blunt screwdriver. For best results, apply slight pressure in a parallel motion to the scratch.
- Marred areas can be reduced by lightly passing the flame from an acetylene torch over the area. This must be done quickly and at a distance of about six inches to avoid melting the plastic. NOTE: The textured finish will disappear when using this method.
- Removing Graffiti: For areas of stubborn graffiti, commercial graffiti removers can be used. Make sure to test in an inconspicuous area as some of these products can damage the plastic surface or cause a haze.
- Cleaning Hardware: To maintain the brilliance of hardware, these components can be periodically improved by an application of non-abrasive cleaner with a damp cloth.
- Securing Hardware: Tighten any screws that have become loose due to vibrational forces or attempted vandalism.
Note regarding solid plastic toilet partitions in high humidity shower environments:
In areas containing showers, the solid plastic toilet partitions in these rooms must receive proper ventilation from the outside so that excess humidity can escape, which will prevent mildew on the solid plastic panels and rusting on the metal hardware.
Note regarding cleaning agents that should not be utilized on solid plastic toilet partitions:
Under no circumstances should the following agents be used on solid plastic toilet partitions:
- Abrasive powders or scouring pads.
- Toilet bowl cleaners.
- Ceramic tile cleaners.
- Solutions containing more than 1% by volume of ammonia.
- Solutions containing aggressive acid, such as Lime-A-Way, Soft Scrub, Tilex, etc.