How to Clean and Maintain Plastic Laminate Toilet Partitions
The following is a guide on how to care for and clean Plastic Laminate Toilet Partitions:
Plastic laminate toilet partitions resist dirty fingerprints, grease, grime, and scuffs. However, plastic laminate toilet partitions should regularly be cleaned by maintenance staff to maintain a new appearance and a sanitary environment.
- Removing Dirt & Grime: All surfaces should be washed with a mild dish-washing liquid soap or powdered detergent and warm water. Use a soft cloth. The finish should then be wiped with a damp sponge and dried.
- Removing Stains: For very stubborn stains, make a paste with baking soda and water. The paste will be slightly abrasive, so work carefully to keep from damaging the surface. Dip a soft bristle brush into the paste and gently rub the spot pressing very lightly in a circular motion. Rinse the surface with warm water and dry with a soft cloth. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 as necessary if the spot seems to be going away. An alternative is to use full strength Pinesol or a household spray cleaner and allow it to draw out the stain. Blot away with a damp cloth, then rinse. Solvents such as denatured alcohol may also be used.
- Removing Scratches: Small scratches can be burnished and smoothed out by pushing the raised material down with the back of a spoon or a blunt screwdriver. For best results, apply slight pressure in a parallel motion to the scratch.
- Removing Graffiti: For areas of stubborn graffiti, commercial graffiti removers can be used. Make sure to test in an inconspicuous area as some of these products can damage the plastic surface or cause a haze.
- Restoring Shine: A periodic application of standard furniture or cleaner wax will keep the partitions looking lustrous and will help minimize future staining.
- Cleaning Hardware: To maintain the brilliance of hardware, these components can be periodically improved by an application of non-abrasive cleaner with a damp cloth.
- Securing Hardware: Tighten any screws that have become loose due to vibrational forces or attempted vandalism.
Never over-saturate the laminate or leave surfaces wet. Water penetration can cause substrate material to swell resulting in damage. Do not use plastic laminate toilet partitions in high humidity shower environments.
Note regarding cleaning agents that should not be utilized on plastic laminate toilet partitions:
Under no circumstances should the following agents be used on plastic laminate toilet partitions:
- Abrasive powders or scouring pads.
- Toilet bowl cleaners.
- Ceramic tile cleaners.
- Solutions containing more than 1% by volume of ammonia.
- Solutions containing aggressive acid, such as Lime-A-Way, Soft Scrub, Tilex, etc.
These harmful cleaning agents can damage the surface and make the plastic laminate partitions susceptible to staining. Spills from these acid or caustic-based products will etch, corrode and permanently discolor the laminate if allowed to remain on the surface. Inadvertent spills should be wiped off immediately and the area wiped with warm water.